Skip to main content

Marriage

My husband loves to grow roses and is truly successful at doing so. He grew up on a farm and has absorbed the green thumb of knowing how much fertilizer, when to prune, how often to water. I am keenly aware lately of how marriage can be viewed much like a rose; going through seasons of growth, seasons of dormancy, sometimes needing extra encouragement and attention, sometimes flourishing with very little focus.
We have grown up together, since I was 15, and he 16. We are now nearing 40. Our eyes and hearts were absorbed with each other, having very few responsibilities or distractions. As time has passed, the joys and frustrations of raising children; dealing with finances; learning to share the burden of added responsibilities have caused us to hurt one another, question, fail to appreciate. There have been moments of wanting to give up, years even of failing to communicate well. But, through it all, there are several truths that have held us fast, kept us strong, nurtured us in our inadequacies.

Truth #1: Commitment, our vow before God and all who witnessed our wedding. We made promises to God and one another. This means something to us, our word, our integrity, our faithfulness. We always tell our children that as they see other families divorce, we will not, we promised each other and God  to love, honor, and cherish until death. Divorce cannot enter our minds, period. I know, for some there is such pain, their spouse has left them in every way and there is no way back to finding trust and love. For you, I grieve. I cannot imagine how painful and difficult it is to walk away. There is healing, forgiveness, and peace in these situations.


Truth #2: Forgiveness. Always say you're sorry. I have never been good at saying I'm sorry, I  would prefer to sweep conflict under the rug and  move on. However, I now realize through my husband’s example that talking about the pain that was caused can bring healing and peace. It is right and good to apologize for hurting the other person even when there was no intention.

 Ephesians 4:29-32 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.


Truth #3: Intimacy. Move towards one another, hug, kiss, be intimate even when it is the last thing on earth you desire. When you feel distant from one another, we put up walls that keep us from being close physically.  This is the opposite of God's design for intimacy.  Intimacy is what can bring peace, healing, unity, and forgiveness.

Song of Solomon 6:3 I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine

Truth #4: Gratitude. See the good in one another, be grateful for your spouse.  So, your spouse may not be romantic, may leave socks all over the house, shove junk into drawers, watch too much TV.  It is not our job to change our spouses, particularly not by nagging and pointing out their faults.  We lead by example, by serving, by putting their needs before our own.  We need to choose to be thankful for all they do and who they are, not for who we wish them to be.

I Thessalonians 5:16-18 Be joyful always, pray continuously, give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Decluttering

Life is full, full of so many individuals to relate to and responsibilities to manage. My heart is full, my mind is full, my emotions are full. My time and my schedule are full. So full, there isn't room for one more need, one more opportunity to help another, one more cry to ...Moooooooom for help, one more touch on my skin that begs for attention and intimacy.  So where do I go from here? How do I move forward in the new year to be open to the needs of others, the opportunities that may come my way, the moments for love,  the potential to teach, to comfort, to nurture. I start by decluttering my inbox to eliminate the asks and advertisers begging for my time. I eliminate the influence social media has on my emotions by hiding the posts that hurt, that cause me to compare, that drain my emotions which are needed for much more important and valuable ones.  I clean out the drawers, the cupboards, the closets of unused, unappreciated toys, movies, games, supplies. I give awa

When the Sadness Won’t Stop

 Sadness, exhaustion, lack of motivation. We have all been there at some point. I want to share my experience as a young mom to shed light on a hidden epidemic. Depression does not always look like someone dressed in baggy, filthy clothes nor do those with depression always appear unhappy in social situations.  Depression can be the smiling mom with beautiful children at the grocery store or the teacher with amazing ideas for her students. I have been there, struggling daily to get out of bed, cook meals, show up for my family.  Hindsight informs me it was likely postpartum. For some of us, it’s the lack of sunshine that seasonally gets us down. For others, it is the beginning of a new year with hopes and goals that quickly get overshadowed with the responsibilities of caring for our families. Whatever has led you to this place when you want to be happy but cannot physically make it happen, it is real and it is so very hard. I know this pain. So many others do too, we just keep

Close to His Heart

                                                 We had just finished pushing Thomas the Train down the track to meet up with his red friend James, and read the last few pages of  Curious George Gets a Medal . It was time to get our coats on and head home for nap time, crossing my fingers he didn't fall asleep in the car. I pulled his blueberry hat over his ears to bear the Massachusetts winter chill, and guided his little arms into the royal blue marshmallow puff coat I thought would be so warm. Yet, now, the coat was an object of regret because what two year old wouldn't scream in opposition to being bound like a mummy, unable to move.  I wasn't sure if it was the coat or not wanting to leave, but the wailing began.     Feet stomping, throwing himself on the floor kicking, he screamed, “No, Mommy, I don't want to go home!No, no, no!"     I tried counting to ten. I tried calmly explaining it was time. I tried bribing him with a cookie. He was 2, h